- 1/2 cup green lentils
- 3 medium size sweet potatoes , peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp . olive oil
- 1 medium onion , finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1 medium carrot , finely grated
- 1 heaped tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 400g tin organic chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup green peas ( I used frozen)
- Salt & pepper
- 1/4 tsp red chilli flakes
- A bunch of fresh coriander
1. Cook the lentils according to the packet instructions. Set aside. * You can also use pre-cooked lentils to save time (they sell them in little pouches in UK supermarkets).
2. Preheat the oven to 200C.
3. Place diced sweet potato in a pan, season with salt & pepper, cover with water & bring to a boil. Reduce to a medium heat & cook until the potatoes are soft. When cooked, cool slightly before mashing the potatoes up. Set aside.
4. In the meantime, fry the onions and garlic in a pan with 1 tbsp. olive oil on a low to medium heat until just softened. Add grated carrot & cook for a further 2 minutes. Stir in tomato puree, smoked paprika & chilli flakes and cook for a further 2 minutes.
5. Add cooked lentils into the pan with onions & garlic & mix well. Stir in chopped tomatoes & peas & cook on medium heat for around 5 minutes. Take the pan off the heat, add freshly chopped coriander and season with salt & pepper.
6. Transfer the lentil mixture into an oven proof dish and spread evenly. Top with sweet potato mash (use a fork to spread the mash evenly).
7. Bake in the oven for 10-15mins until the potato is starting to turn golden brown.
This article and recipe adapted from this site